** This post may contain affiliate links.
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and with the holiday picking up in popularity, we thought we would share with you 5 fun St. Patrick’s Day Traditions to make the day memorable for you and your kids!
1. Leprechaun Trap – Every kids dream is to catch a leprechaun. The thought of becoming rich with gold and meeting and talking with a little man dressed in green is captivating. Whether you go all out with your trap, or throw something together, it doesn’t matter to your kids. You are building something magical together and making memories that will last a lifetime.
2. Watching Movies – My favorite part of St. Patrick’s Day when I was a child was getting to watch St. Patrick’s Day movies with my family. Darby O’Gill and the Little People was always my favorite with The Gnome Mobile being a close second.
3. Wear Everything Green – For years I have collected fun “green” items for my kids to wear. From big bold necklaces to cute little green leprechaun hats. On St. Patrick’s Day morning my kids try to be the first one awake because they know that the first child awake gets first dibs at all the fun, green, dress up stuff. Getting to wear something special that they only get 1 day a year is enchanting to them.
4. Make the Leprechaun Come Alive – Each St. Patrick’s Day morning my kids race around the house to find all the “evidence” of the little Leprechaun. There are chocolate coins for them to find, green food coloring in the toilets, and green shamrocks drawn on the mirrors. Just remember to get your chocolate coins early, before they are sold out. I purchase mine at our local candy shop on Main St.
5. Green Food – It has been a tradition since my childhood to have Corn Beef & Cabbage for dinner on St. Patrick’s Day. But a few years ago, I added to that tradition. We now only eat green food, all day long. For breakfast, we usually have Green Pancakes that I make with a little bit of mint extract and green food coloring. For Lunch, it is tradition to have Green Macaroni & Cheese that I “dye” green by blending fresh spinach into the cheese sauce. We also love to snack on Lucky Charms, Green Grapes, Celery and Peanut Butter, Green apples, Green Jello and any other fun “Green” treats we can come up with!