With winter just around the corner, it is time to really start thinking about your chimney care. It is important to have your chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year. You might remember that we talked about this a few months ago with the Chimney Doctor. He was kind enough to give us some important fireplace tips and we just wanted to take this week to reiterate how important it is to follow his instruction.
**This post contains affiliate links.
10 Important Fireplace Tips
- Burn Hardwoods over Softwoods. Firewood is not created equal. Meaning there are some woods that are just better to burn then others. Hardwoods burn much longer with less smoke.
- Find a dry place to store your wood and make sure it is stacked properly. This one is simple. Wet wood will not burn correctly and will create a lot of excess smoke.
- Keep up on necessary repairs year after year. This will help you to stay on top of things instead of letting things get out of hand which will lead to more costly fixes down the road.
- Don’t burn trash, cardboard, treated lumber, or other man-made products. These items might not only be toxic but can damage your fireplace.
- Top your chimney with a chimney cap. It will help to keep rain out of your chimney and help to prevent rust.
- Keep furniture, books, toys, stockings and other flammable items away from the fireplace.
- Never use any kind of fuel such as kerosene or lighter fluid to start your fires.
- Always keep your fireplace clean of any old ashes and make sure they are placed into a firesafe metal container.
- Make sure you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed.
- Keep kids away from your burning fire.