Have you ever wondered if there are steps you can take to extend the life of your garbage disposal and keep it running as good as new? I’m here to let you know that there is! Here are a few of my ideas that will help you maintain your garbage disposal.
**This post contains affiliate links
Maintain your Garbage Disposal in 5 Easy Steps!
1. Use cold water when running the garbage disposal. This will help to keep the fatty food firm and prevent it from sticking to the sides of your pipes. After you are finished grinding up the food particles it is also a good idea to let your disposal run for a few seconds to help wash everything down the pipes and out of your system completely.
2. Run your garbage disposal every few days. Even if you don’t have any food to grind. You will want run the disposal to make sure that it does not freeze up.
3. Try to keep anything hard out of your disposal. Items such as fruit pits, hard seeds, shells from eggs or shellfish, popcorn kernels, coffee grounds and bones are a big no, no. Also, no foreign objects should ever be sent down the disposal. Also grease such as bacon grease is a firm no.
It is also a good idea to keep fibrous foods away from the disposal. Running foods such as banana and potato peels and celery make it easier to clog by creating a paste that will stick to your pipes.
4. Clean and refresh your garbage disposal by pouring 1/2 cup baking soda with a cup of vinegar down your disposal when it is not running. Once it is done foaming you can run your garbage disposal with hot water to rinse it all down the drain. Running citrus peels down the disposal every once in a while will also help to freshen your disposal and keep those pesky odors away. Grinding ice with salt is a good thing to do occasionally as well. This will help to keep the blades clean and get rid of any gunk that may be left from running it.
5. Don’t ever put bleach into your garbage disposal. This can lesson the life of your disposal by causing damage to the disposals inner workings.
By following these 5 simple steps you will be sure Maintain your Garbage Disposal and keep is running longer!
Looking for more Maintenance ideas? Check out our checklist here!